Tax season is here! So, let’s take a look at important 2023 tax deadlines, when you can file taxes, and the benefits of filing your taxes early.
Tax Deadlines 2023
January 31, 2023
Deadline to file W2s and 1099s
March 15, 2023
Business tax return deadline
Business tax return deadline,
( if extended )
March 15, 2023
Deadline for document drop off to ensure return is filed by April 18th
April 18, 2023
Individual tax return deadline
October 16, 2023
Individual tax return deadline,
( if extended )
Quarterly Estimated Payment Deadlines
- April 18, 2023 – Q1 Payment Due
- June 15, 2023 – Q2 Payment Due
- September 15, 2023 – Q3 Payment Due
- January 15, 2024 – Q4 Payment Due
Can You File Taxes Early in 2023?
Yes! The IRS will start accepting tax returns as early as the end of January 2023. While our clients are not required to submit documents early, clients must submit all documents by Wednesday, March 15 to ensure we file by the individual deadline of April 18th, 2023.
The Benefits of Filing Taxes Early
Here are a few major benefits of filing your taxes early:
|Avoid processing delays|
|Faster tax refund|
|Eliminates the need to file an extension|
|Prevents money wasted in fines and penalties|
|Gives you extra time to pay taxes you owe|
|Protects your refunds from identity thieves|
Tips to Ensure Timely Completion and Filing:
Here are a few tips to ensure we can complete your return in a timely manner:
1. Submit All Documents
New this year, we will not be scheduling out individual dates for document drop off. As soon as you can, please submit all documents to us via email, client portal or dropping off at the office if you have hard copies. The turnaround time is shorter with more planning opportunities the earlier you can provide documents. However, clients must submit by Wednesday, March 15 to ensure we file by the individual deadline. We will continue to file courtesy extensions for all clients who have not finalized their return by the tax deadlines.
2. Fill Out Current Year Tax Organizer
We require all clients, new and old, to fill out a current year tax organizer to ensure we are capturing all tax law changes.
3. Organize Documents
The better organized your source documents are, the quicker we can start on your return. If sending electronically, PDFs are preferable. We recommend downloading the app Genius Scan which uses your phone camera to scan and create PDFs.
Note: If dropping off hard copies, please remove documents from sealed envelopes
4. Completing rental and business worksheets
Completing rental and business worksheets decreases turnaround time.
5. Next Steps
- Once we have your source documents, you will be added to our project queue, and your tax preparer will reach out if further information is needed.
- When your return is complete, you will receive a summary email from your tax preparer with the results. As always, a 20-minute meeting to review your completed tax return will be available if requested. This will ensure you get the most out of your consultation by focusing on the results and opportunities for the coming year.
- The operations team will then follow up with further instructions on how to sign, file your return, and pay any taxes owed.
Video Tutorial on How-to electronically sign returns
Please call or email our office with any questions, extension requests or if you have made other arrangements for the upcoming tax season. Please note important deadlines above.
Tax Season Is Upon Us! File Your Taxes Early with Fisher, P.A.
Ensuring 2023 tax compliance doesn’t have to be complex. At Fisher, P.A., our tax compliance accountants have extensive experience in current laws and regulations and can help file your 2023 taxes early. Get in touch with us today to get started!